Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 11:21:56
Hello,

> I find it unacceptable that I can't get XDM running. "XDM=yes" in
> rc.conf should be more than enough to start the thing with any
> reasonable defaults. That is the goal of having "ports".
>
> I enabled it and had no luck, xdm starts but every login fails, both
> root and users. (Black sceen and then back to XDM)
Sounds like it couldn't start a session- or window manager.
( never tried it - I think xdm, dtlogin, kdm and all that are abominations and the only decent way to get into X is startx, but that's just me I guess :) )

> I looked around for past posts, tried create .xsessions no help. I am
> surely missing something easy, but I am not finding it. The point is tht
> all defaults should be reasonable enough to make things work. This is
> part of a "polished user experience"
Agreed. Maybe whatever xdm tries to start misses some libraries and needs LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to something like that.

> exaclty like ye should provide some Keyboard maps to work with xfree.
That's clearly XFree's fault - the UK keymap for instance is the same as the US one, even on x86 (many of my boxes have UK keyboards). Then there are no working definitions for any ADB keyboards ( and my Sun Type 6 USB is missing too ).

have fun
Michael