Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 14:40:36
Tomas D wrote:

> --- Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
>
> > 0) the world is biased towards linux and x86
> > solution: I don't know one
> >
> > 1) hardware support is limited.
> > 2. installation troubles.
> > 3. Ethernet troubles.
> > 4. SCSI troubles.
> > 5. X troubles.
> > SO, cheers,
> >
> > Riccardo
> >
> that's sounds bad considering the fact that I'm just
> about to start installing netbsd on my 9500 I've
> expected problems but not that much! I'll try to get
> that mac (I found it earlier this year in north London
> with note "old mac good for word processing" and tuck
> it home) so far I couldn't do anything further than
> patch and run systemdisk and screw open firmware which
> I fixed recently... have to try to get my monitor work
> in open firmware environment hehe...

I didn't want to sound negative here.

with a patched kernel and Xserver by Michael, with an Matrox framebuffer
and an extra ethernet card I have a 98% usable system! It is stable, I
can browse the internet, X works w/o trouble... if I get a better mouse
button emulation it is even perfect.

I'm attempting to clean up a mMosaic browser to get a fast tool for that
too and then I try to keep with GNUstep on the track. Since I think that
Motif/Lesstif and GNUstep are the best libraries to work with on such a
system.

The scsi troubles depend on the disk you have, if you have the original
disk I wouldn't expect problems. I have a High-end scsi disk that
apparently insists in getting sync transfers, which, in any case, are
fixed by Michael's kernel.

Michael's work should be cleaned up (not be tied to having one certain
graphic card or the disk on some id's for example) and should find the
way in the official tree. He did good work.

-R