Subject: Re: XFree86 (was Re: CVS commits for macppc)
To: <>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 13:25:36
>>I guess not too many people were able to use XFree at all
>

> It's such a complete and utter PITA to configure.  I spent several hours
> of trial-and-error-crashing-my-powerbook trying to find the right
> settings.  Xmacppc just works.  Maybe I'm spoiled by platforms where the X
> server knows about the hardware and figures out the right settings.
> XFree86 seems to know about the hardware, but requires you to dig through
> the code and developer documentation to figure out how to tell it what it
> already knows.
>
> Yeah, I did try XFree86 -config and it bombed like everything else.
>
> That said, I did finally get it working on my PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
> which has a Rage 128 M2, and it's been fairly happy.
>

>>Maybe most people either have a Radeon or are happy with Xmacppc.

i'm running X (runs fine except that sync is lost after quitting X;
restarting X is okay, but it never returns to console) on a Sawtooth G4
with Radeon 9000 Pro. was not that troublesome to configure...

if working on this is appreciated, i also have the original Rage 128 Pro
(or whatever it's dmesg output is =8-) ready for testing.

> Xmacppc is *much* easier to set up (about 2 seconds to relink
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X to it vs. hours of trial-and-error-and-google for XFree86).

regards,

timo