Subject: Re: more bug squashing
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 20:18:27
	Also, minor cosmetic change. On the model support page for the G3
Powerbooks, I think there's a little bit of discombobulation.

According to http://www.pbparts.com/sp_ws.php and what I know of the
different models.

The original PowerBook G3 (not black) is the Kanga. As it says in the
link to the TIL, it closely resembles the 3400.

The Mainstreet is the lowest end Wallstreet I model.

Mainstreet = 12.1" passive matrix 233 MHz G3 cacheless, 2MB VRAM, 83MHz
system bus, 800x600 8bit color only, no svideo.

Wallstreet I = 12.1 passive matrix, 13.3" TFT,14.1 TFT", 233,250,292 MHz
G3 with backside cache, 2 MB vram, 83MHz system bus, svideo on all but 12"

Wallstreet II or PDQ = 14.1 TFT, 233,266,300 MHz G3 with BS cache, 4MB
VRAM, 66 MHz system bus

The footnote about OpenFirmware in my experience ammounts to this:

at cold boot, command option o f immediately after the bong finishes
playing. At a warm boot you are SOL, you'll have to shut down or set
auto-boot? false, on the whole PowerBook G3 series. (Mainstreet,Wallstreet
I and II, PDQ) It also requires the system disk or startup disk patches to
boot NetBSD from ide, scsi, or ethernet; and moving real-base & load-base.

Other not really important notes:

83 MHz and 66 MHz components are not compatible.

The 12.1" Passive matrix display will ONLY work on a Wallstreet I or
mainstreet motherboard. The 12.1" TFT will not work on the Wallstreet I or
Mainstreet.