Subject: Re: CVS commits for macppc
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 13:19:45
> Hmm, before thinking that we lack a port-maintainer, I rather feel
> like we lack users!

I've gotten answers from our port maintainer. And there are users - plenty
of users. I think the issue is something else.

> All powerpc ports have been killing random processes for several
> months due to a (since fixed) bug in the pmap code, starting from last
> november.

If it started last November, then one would assume it got cut into 2.0.
Has it been fixed either before the cut, or since and pulled up? I've been
running a 2.0 machine as a production machine since August, and I have had
no complaints about random processes dying, and I haven't found any
unexpected core files lying around.

> ... and the X server has been crashing all the time since we switched
> to non-exec mappings, and not a single person seemed to really care
> about it.

One of the issues is that we might not have that many people running X on
macppc. I have never, and none of the people I've helped with macppc have
ever.

> I have a local patch in my kernel to ignore the 5th button generated
> by a tap on the trackpad because it makes Xt menus unusable, but then
> again it looks like I'm the only one affected.
> (I intend to change this into real support for the tap before I get
> rid of my iBook)

If it doesn't affect lots of things, there's no reason why someone who
isn't the port maintainer couldn't look at the code and commit it.

> It looks to me that "forall x in UserBase. x is happy". Maybe UserBase
> is empty. ;-)

Not empty, but I'm sure that the subset of people running 2.0 or current
and running X is a lot smaller than UserBase.

> PS: I have no opinion or objection to the change of port maintainer as I
>    should return my iBook to my lab shortly.

With the trackpad working as it should in X, right?

John