Subject: Re: CVS commits for macppc
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 09:57:04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

> Hmm, before thinking that we lack a port-maintainer, I rather feel
> like we lack users!

In general, most of the NetBSD development effort focuses on i386.
My shot-in-the-dark guess as to user levels is something like:
i386 (85%)
macppc (5%)
sparc (3%)
sparc64 (2%)
alpha (1%)
mac68k (1%)
everything else (3%)

Among the non-i386 platforms, it seems developer effort is
disproportionately focused on sparc and alpha.  That said, most of the
developers are working on the platform with the most users (i386).  It's
easy to feel ignored, but consider the total number of platforms we
support!

> ... and the X server has been crashing all the time since we switched
> to non-exec mappings, and not a single person seemed to really care
> about it.

I've been playing with 2.0RC5 for the last week, and it's pretty darn
rock-solid on my PowerBook G3 (FireWire) a.k.a. Pismo, other than Firefox
showing some graphical weirdnesses with XFree86 (it looks fine in
Xmacppc).

> I have a local patch in my kernel to ignore the 5th button generated
> by a tap on the trackpad because it makes Xt menus unusable, but then
> again it looks like I'm the only one affected.

And I thought I was alone!  I just hadn't had a chance to dig into it.
Please send me your patch.

> (I intend to change this into real support for the tap before I get
>  rid of my iBook)

That would be great.  I'm surpised there isn't a general framework for
this, given how common that type of trackpad is on i386 laptops as well.

  -- MW