Subject: Re: src/etc/etc.macppc/Makefile Boot Magic (WAS: Re: RC4 Release ISO (not hybrid) available)
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Robert Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 07:04:03
On Nov 17, 2004, at 12:47 AM, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 08:00, Tim Kelly wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:14:01 -0400
>> "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you certain about this syntax?  I thought OBP used "setenv
>>> output-device screen".  Then again, Apple has really botched it,
>>> haven't they? Per your syntax, I will make this change;
>>>
>>> <CHRP-BOOT>
>>> <COMPATIBLE>MacRISC</COMPATIBLE>
>>> <DESCRIPTION>
>>> NetBSD/macppc bootable CD script
>>> </DESCRIPTION>
>>> <BOOT-SCRIPT>
>>> " output" screen
>>> boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc
>>> </BOOT-SCRIPT>
>>> </CHRP-BOOT>
>
> Could a file containing the above 'bootscript' be checked into CVS so
> that src/etc/etc.macppc/Makefile could be created with a
> "iso-image-md-post" and "iso-image-md-pre" target hooks to make the ISO
> bootable? src/distrib/cdrom/hfsmap.lst is already there.  This is the
> next logical step.

Don't forget that this script has to be in a directory ("folder") that
is "blessed" and the file needs to be marked with the proper
Type/Creator codes.  All this can be done with the latest version of
mkisofs though.

I also have a working prototype that implements a mult-system boot
selector feature.  It supports OS 9, OS X, NetBSD, and YDL as well as
CDROM and Networking booting.

-bob