Subject: sysinst/partitions/APM/fresh installs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/14/2004 08:58:55
Hi,
I've been operating under the impression that the very small (32M) /
partition I have after an RC2 install was the result of a bug in the
default partitioning scheme. The install was done as an install, not an
upgrade or reinstall, and I did not do anything to the
arrangement that was offered. However, I have started getting feedback
indicating that the default partition scheme in 2.0 is for /+swap. This
led me to wonder about the disk I installed it on. It started life as a
MacOS HFS disk. I used it to install 1.6.2 briefly, but then I had to
reinstall MacOS 9.0 on it to diagnose some hardware problems. When I
returned it to NetBSD, I used RC2.

I have another disk that has been BetBSD since 1.6.2 (it's now RC4
userland with a week old -current kernel) and it too has a 32M /. This
leads me to ask:

is it possible that sysinst/pdisk picked up the previous NetBSD
partitioning scheme and used it, even though this was an attempt to do a
fresh install?

thanks in advance,
tim