Subject: Re: MP scheduling
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/11/2004 11:19:59
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:13:39AM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
> The overall question that I had was whether there is some accounting
> that prevents a parent thread from exceeding 100% CPU with its children.

Not sure what you mean... with the default options, make only launches
one worker process at a time. Since the compiler is single-threaded,
that single process can't use more than one CPU simultaneously. The OS
schedules it to run on one CPU or the other for each timeslice, so you
see it running on both CPUs, but since it's running on one then the
other, rather than on both at the same time, you won't see usage >
100%. When you use -j2, make will launch two worker processes, so
you'll see both CPUs used at the same time.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 29 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++