Subject: Wallstreet PB booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/10/2004 20:51:36
I am having a lot of trouble determining the Open Firmware voodoo for the
internal ( IDE it would seem) drive.

I got the system installed on this drive by booting with netboot, placing
the install kernel and ofwboot.xcf on another box. This worked fine. I
installed via ftp and most everything seemed ok. (I did get one error when
it first started formating the disk. I should have written this down.)

Anyway, now I am trying to boot the newly installed system.

I assume I want the partition 0 method, as this is OF 2.0.1.

I tried:
setenv boot-file netbsd
setenv boot-device ata0/disk@0:0

But it claims it cannot open that device. I tried ata0/disk@0:1 all the
way up to 0:16 as well. When I had the nvramrc patches active I tried ide0
instead of ata0.

Any ideas on how to get open firmware to boot this? I wonder if that error
I saw had something to do with setting up the bootloader. I may have to
run the install again and log that error.

Thanks,

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------