Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2004 11:08:57
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:53:56 -0500
Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

> That's different things. ofwboot lives in a ffs filesystem and is
> loaded by bootxx when using the partition zero method ( sd@0:0 ),
> ofwboot.xcf is loaded by OF from a iso9660 or MSDOS filesystem (
> sd@something:,\OFWBOOT.XCF ), the two aren't interchangeable which
> gave me some headache because installboot with ofwboot.xcf doesn't
> complain but leaves the disk unbootable. So, I couldn't get ofwboot to
> work on anything besides target 0 while ofwboot.xcf works from almost
> anywhere as long as OF can see the partition.

Ok, then what you saw is about the same as what I'm seeing, except the
disk _is_ at target 0. One of the reasons I was wanting to compile the
kernel to set sd0 to target 6 was so that I could bring both hard drives
on line and examine the 2G.

Let me ask - does bootxx ignore the user's requested bootloader and
automatically use what installboot put in?

tim