Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2004 09:58:20
Hi Michael,

> > Ain't feedback grand?
> Sorry, I can't reproduce your problems, although my machine is a tad
> different ( S900, 300MHz G3/1MB, 400MB RAM )

This is only in the MP kernel. It's ground away for 15 hours in the SP
kernel with the same card.

>Your / seems to be pretty
> small - mine is ~200MB with ~8GB /usr sitting on a 9GB Seagate
> Barracuda.

Yes, I think the default partitioning scheme presented by sysinst should
be revised to a larger /, and possibly let the user choose if /tmp
should be memory based or a real partition.

>Building the whole system always failed so far with weird
> syntax-related error messages - didn't get around to investigate, but
> I didn't see a single kernel panic yet. Maybe it helps to add some
> swap space and mount /tmp or /var/tmp as a sufficiently large memory
> filesystem ( I'll probably do that myself, just to speed things up,
> see man mount_mfs ).

Will I need to repartition to do this? I'm sort of catch-22'd; I need
the 2G to move the 1.5G of files I've already dl'd to the 8G so I can
repartition, but I need to compile the kernel to get the 2G to attach
as sd1.

>Too bad I don't have the dual 604e CPU cards
> anymore so I can't test the MP stuff ( my S900 came with 2 CPU cards,
> each carrying a 233MHz 604e ). I can however confirm your OF-related
> booting problems - OF steadfastly refuses to load ofwboot from a ZIP
> drive, says it cannot LOAD from sd@5:0 or anything that's not sd@0:0.
> sd@5,\OFWBOOT.XCF ) works though.

I had no problems booting from a PC formatted zip cartridge repeatedly
during development work on OpenBSD on Old World Macs (which I
successfully did). Did you use boot scsi/@5 or boot scsi-int/@5? Oops,
just reread your message - isn't ofwboot ELF? If so, on your Mac the
bootloader has to strip the ELF headers and present the executable
already in memory and located properly. The early OF versions have no
ELF support.

tim