Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2004 08:30:37
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:29:18 -0500
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com> wrote:

> and the
> backtrace has some functions that might be related to context
> switches.

I've traced this to macppc/macppc/machdep.c. The code sends an "IPI" and
then counts from 0x3fffffff to 0 while waiting for a value to be filled
in asynchronously. The panic occurs when the count finishes without
having the value set. The code to send the IPI is in macppc/macppc/cpu.c
(macppc_send_ipi).

So far it seems to me that this is architectural related, so I haven't
posted to tech-kern.

In the meantime, I tried without the L2 cache with no success, so I've
added an additional 128M and dropped back to GENERIC (single processor)
in an attempt to build userland. I didn't do any partitioning other than
the default ones from the installer, and I am lacking knowledge of how
to mount /tmp in sd0g. I wasn't expecting this to be the final set up
for this machine, as it was only supposed to be a transition, but I've
run into something I never expected to - the other hard drive (the stock
IBM 2G) has the Open Firmware words "load," "open," and "read" defined,
but OF claims that this disk is not bootable. That disk was supposed to
be the functional drive while I experimented on this 8G drive. Since I
already did a 2.0RC2 install on the 2G drive and it has target 0, it
gets attached as sd0, which confuses the booting kernel on the 8G/sd1
and /sbin/init panics. Because of this I can't keep the 2G drive hooked
up, and that's limiting my ability to explore this. I figured I could
hard wire the 8G to sd0, but I haven't seen in config (interactive)
where this can be done here, so I've been needing to build the kernel
with the GENERIC file manually setting sd0 to target
6. However, config (copy of GENERIC) fails with

.../../../../netinet/files.ipfilter:21: syntax error
../../../../net/files.pf:16: syntax error

The lines in question have makeoption with a variable, so I've been
trying to make sure my build (world) environment is functional.

By the way, I've noticed that sushi has some problems if TERM isn't
properly set, which makes some aspects of the installation process to be
a tad more difficult. It'll give a message saying it can't initialize
curses, which isn't something intuitively associated with TERM.

Ain't feedback grand?

:-) tim