Subject: Re: why not enabling OFB on macppc by default?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2004 11:34:14
>> Enabling the awacs driver inevitably and always leads to a crash under
>> heavy machine use.

On the machines I've used, this is true (7300, 7600, 9600, AGP G4, gigabit
G4). A friend has seen a similar thing on an S900. The Starmax is
questionable, since I couldn't cause it to crash (but it did every now and
then), but it hasn't crashed since removing awacs, so I don't consider
that certain.

> Just for the record: this is not true for at least the Powerbook
> G3 Lombard.

I wonder what might be different.

What kind of heavy use have you done on this G3? My systems have crashed
while pushing tens of megabits and/or cvs updating source trees, or some
combination of tons of disk activity and network activity at the same
time. Also, systems have run for more than a month before crashing.

The only reason I believe this to be completely awacs related is that my
colocated 9600 would crash, seemingly inexplicably, every few weeks or so.
Since I've removed awacs, it's been up for 89 days and has served more
than 3.5 terabytes.

I can say similar things about my AGP G4 system, too, although I did have
some 2.0 related problems, so the 9600 is really the clearest example of
awacs problems.

John Klos