Subject: Re: why not enabling OFB on macppc by default?
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/2004 11:37:54
Hi,

> i'm just wondering whether there are some issues *against* using
>
>> #options        OFB_ENABLE_CACHE        # Speed up console
>
> (this is from /usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/conf/GENERIC)
>
> enabled by default? are there negative effects on machines that are not
> documented? AFAICT, my G3 b&w, my G4 and my PowerBook G3 run this setting
> well :)

My original iMac motherboard, for one, won't boot with that enabled.

Enabling the awacs driver inevitably and always leads to a crash under
heavy machine use. Like OFW caching, it's better to have something not be
as fast or not be enabled than to have some unbootable or unstable
machines out there.

John