Subject: Re: crash!
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/2004 09:17:42
Hello,

> well, i'm not saying that telnet had anything to do with it, just that i was
> trying to telnet into a specific sun box both times it happened, maybe it is
> just coincidence?  ;)
That remains to be seen - it might be a hint or not.

> > But the trace suggests the panic came from uvm, so someone else will have to comment on it...
> what do i need to do to be able to get more information for something like this?
the trace should be fine for a first glance, but uvm is unchartered territory for me, I'm just getting familiar with PCI and driver stuff... does the trace always point at the same function?

> this is not the first (nor do i expect it to be the last) kernel panic on this
> machine, and i'd like to be able to contribute whatever information i can to
> assist in making NetBSD more stable on this machine.
A wild guess - I recently found out that some of my memory modules are flaky, changing them cured a few ( but not all ) weird problems. Do things like RAMometer show any weirdnesses? I seem to remember that you have a G3 card - does the cache run at the right speed?

good luck
Michael