Subject: Re: mesh timeout errors on 9500
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2004 09:47:25
Hello,

> > > probe(mesh0:0:1:0): max sync rate 10.00Mb/s
> > So your kernel tries to negotiate synchronous transfers on mesh0 - I've only ever seen this message after playing with the mesh* flags in the kernel config resulting in an unusable kernel.
> > By default the line looks like
> > mesh* at obio? flags 0xffff
> > which disables any attempts to use synchronous transfers.
> > Does this message also appear when you use the generic kernel?
>
> as I already wrote this is the generic kernel I downloaded from
> releng.netbsd.org about 2 months ago or so...

That's weird - the GENERIC config file has the flags set to disable synchronous transfers and it's certainly operating in asynchronous mode on my S900 ( only 6MB/s or so with a Seagate Barracuda, the same model does >15MB/s sustained on a wide SCSI bus in another box, in synchronous mode it should exhaust a SCSI-II bus )
I could compile a GENERIC kernel from recent cvs for you and put it somewhere for download if you want.

have fun
Michael