Subject: Re: mesh timeout errors on 9500
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2004 10:33:30
Hey:

Even with a normal kernel I find this:

scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL SE4.3S, PJ0A> disk
fixed
sd0: 4110 MB, 7637 cyl, 4 head, 275 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8418816
sectors
probe(mesh0:0:1:0): max sync rate 10.00Mb/s
sd1 at scsibus1 target 1 lun 0: <IBM OEM, DFHSS4F, 4141> disk fixed
sd1: drive offline
cd0 at scsibus1 target 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8005A, 4.0i> cdrom
removable
boot device: sd1
root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
root file system type: ffs

as it says root device is on sd1 how can it says it is offline? it just
got the kernel off it ! (sd0 is mac only...)
Chris Tribo wrote:

>         You might try boot -a from open firmware, then boot the kernel
> with the -v flag from ofwboot.xcf to enable verbosity. Might give some
> more clues without compiling a debug/diagnostic/mesh_debug kernel.

hmm, I'm lost there. "-a" where ?

I tried the procedure I would do on sun's: stop at open-firmware with
alt-cmd-o-f and then type "boot -v" but it did not increase verbosity
level. COuld you give me instruction for the beginner?

AH also, I can test some kernels if someone provides me. I do not have
sources on my HD yet. But as things are it is probbaly better to get
some so I can try out the various patches from Michael...

-R