Subject: Re: mc0 performance
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/13/2004 12:59:18
Hello,

> I was running a Nitro board with a G3 upgrade using mc without much of
> a fuss. Are you absolutely positively without a doubt certain that:
> your cable is wired correctly, autonegotiate is enabled on the switch,
> and all pins are making contact What happens if you change the ifmedia
> to 10BaseT-Half duplex (even though this is probably what ifconfig
> reports already).

Well, I don't have the mc performance problem ( S900, 300MHz G3 ) - throughput isn't stellar ( ~700KB/s - less than a 50MHz Sun could pump through an le  ) but definitely usable. Since I got the E100 working I don't use the mc anymore but I'll check again.
There must be a bit more than bad cabling on this problem - I saw lots of different people complain about lackluster mc performance - I doubt that all of them have bad cables or weird hubs/switches and at least some people said that performance under MacOS is fine so at least in these cases we can rule out bad cabling - there must be something wrong with the driver, maybe it's overly picky about some things.

have fun
Michael