Subject: Re: UFS root, how? was Re: 2.0 rc1 default catch
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kendall Shaw <queshaw@pacbell.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2004 01:51:54
Bob Nestor wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2004, at 5:18 PM, Kendall Shaw wrote:
>
>> boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz
>>
>> and it fails with the error message ... 'DEFAULT CATCH' ...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Try an older version of ofwboot.xcf.  Version 1.17 seems to work for
> me.  It came from the 1.6 system.

Thanks I was able to boot and install using the older ofwboot.xcf.

But, I don't understand how to boot now.

I have ofwboot.xcf on an HFS partition on one drive and root on a UFS
parition on another drive. This doesn't work:

boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf ultra1:3,\netbsd

maybe because openfirmware can't read from a UFS partition?

I tried copying nebsd to the HFS partition then I get 'DEFAULT CATCH!'.

How does the kernel know where root is? Does it expect it to be where
'netbsd' is? If so, how do people manage to have a UFS format root?

Kendall