Subject: Re: 1 Ghz CPU in AGP G4 causes NetBSD 1.6.2 hangs
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/28/2004 17:52:29
Hi,

A smarter ofwboot.xcf would not be a bad thing, thank you!

>> From Don's original post:
>
> Sep 26 14:53:31 temp /netbsd: cpu0: HID0
> 8450c0bc<EMCP,TBEN,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,
> BTIC,LRSTK,FOLD,BHT>
>
> It would appear that power save mode is enabled. Could this be a possible
> problem that would explain why a while(1) loop in the background makes all
> the problems go away (i.e., it never naps)?

Makes sense, but does that mean enabled, as opposed to just being a
feature list?

> Is anyone else running high end upgrade CPUs on their AGP G4s?

Yes. I've tried two CPU upgrades. The one I wanted to use was a 1.4 GHz
7457 upgrade, but there are strange problems in NetBSD 2.0 which I could
not isolate enough to know how to proceed further. It'd dump core in a
number of different compiles, but in the same place in each of those
compiles. I also tried OS X on the same hardware so I could confirm that
both the memory and the CPU accelerator were not at fault.

The second accelerator is a 1.3 GHz 7455, which works fine under 2.0:

cpu0 at mainbus0: 7455 (Revision 3.3), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,TBEN,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,LRSTK,FOLD,BHT>
cpu0: 1300.00 MHz, 256KB L2 cache, 2MB no-parity L3 cache (PB2 SRAM) at 5:1 ratio

I had to get the machine colocated, so I just went with the 7455, but I
still have the 7457 and can try it out sometime, if anyone is interested
in looking at the toolchain problems. The 7455 is quite stable.

>> On this "upgraded" machine, the "while(1)" program running in the
>> background makes the machine quite stable.  If I kill it, then
>> the machine freezes up the next time I try to do any interesting
>> network activity.  This seems to be the same with the 3Com and the gem
>> (built-in) ethernet.

That's strange. It does sound like some sort of strange power-save thing
that NetBSD isn't controlling.

John Klos