Subject: Re:X on 8600 update
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Seiler <tobi@themaster.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2004 13:56:48
Hi,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:56:50 +0200, Timo Sch=F6ler wrote:

>> It works out of the box from 7.5.3 on up, so I think you're golden for
 NetBSD. My last price list has it at $99 MSRP, but you can probably do
 better. Fry's sells them as well.
=20
 http://www.sonnettech.com/product/sonata_sd.html
>=20
 hi,
=20
 i disagree with the above mentioned card. though sonnet has=20
 phenomenal products, this card is crap (sorry). as you can see here
=20
 http://villagetronic.com/e_pr_mpddpro.html
=20
 villagetronic sells the _same_ well known as MPDD or MP2D etc. (look=20
 at the PCB -- they are equally designed, use the same glue logic, and=20
 both feature the same Permedia Chipset).

Its true that its the same card. But the graphic chip used is not a=20
Permedia.
They use a Trident Blade3D pro for that card. Thats a whole lot of a=20
difference. Maybe it isn't a killer but the design is quite nice, it=20
doesn't need much power, the 2D is quite ok even for nowadays though=20
earlier revisions of the chip did only support 170MHz DAC clock.

> the Permedia Chipset is _very_ outdated (i remember some PPC'ed Amiga=20
 1200's using a local bus gfx card featuring a Permedia2).

Well it might not compete with current chips. But its still way better=20
than any S3 Virge or Trio card ;).

> i was employee to an Authorized Apple Service Provider 'til last year=20
 -- we sold them _only_ in kind of 'emergency cases' for a second (or=20
 third ;) monitor. they are really really really slow.

Well, in that case you should know better. I was working for that=20
company as the card was designed although I quit short after that and=20
nothing ever would make me return...

The card  is good for what its sold for MacOS use. For a second display.

I don't think XFree will the support the cards chip yet on ppc.

regs Tobias