Subject: Re: Remote logging from Linksys to NetBSD....
To: Niels S.Eliasen <nse@ruc.dk>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2004 09:09:55
> Hi guys
>
> I am trying to setup logging(syslog) from a Linksys box to NetBSD, but
> I do not get anything in the logfiles....
> Anyone have any input on this? like a howto ??
>
> Or is there any alternatives to syslog ?
>
> niels e

hi,

(i'd recommend: forget it). after lots of playing with several low-end
routers (DLink etc.) it worked out that they are really crap -- the
more sophisticated the action/process you want it to do, the more they
refuse :D

what to do? does it speak SNMP? then try to poll this data. or, as i did

i) get a real router (if you don't want to pay much, IMHO only draytek
routers seem to work; otherwise, there are ciscos on ebay)

ii) set up a NAT box with NetBSD.

i'm sorry, but after nearly years (!) of playing with those 'plastic
bomber routers' at customers' sites, i'm really disappointed.

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt