Subject: Re: X on 8600 update
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/2004 15:56:50
>> ok, i'd like to open this question up to the whole list.  i'm looking
>> for a
>> video card that is going to Just Work(tm) unlike the millenium.  if
>> it works
>> alongside the onboard video, that would be cool too, but i'm thinking
>> that
>> i'm not going to use the onboard video at all.
>>
>> it needs to be cheap.  it needs to have stellar 2D performance, since
>> the
>> majority of what i do is 2D.
>
> Sonnet makes a very nice PCI video card specifically designed for 2D
> (it
> was intended for dual monitor setups, but should work fine as a
> standalone).
> It works out of the box from 7.5.3 on up, so I think you're golden for
> NetBSD. My last price list has it at $99 MSRP, but you can probably do
> better. Fry's sells them as well.
>
> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/sonata_sd.html

hi,

i disagree with the above mentioned card. though sonnet has phenomenal
products, this card is crap (sorry). as you can see here

http://villagetronic.com/e_pr_mpddpro.html

villagetronic sells the _same_ well known as MPDD or MP2D etc. (look at
the PCB -- they are equally designed, use the same glue logic, and both
feature the same Permedia Chipset).

the Permedia Chipset is _very_ outdated (i remember some PPC'ed Amiga
1200's using a local bus gfx card featuring a Permedia2).

i was employee to an Authorized Apple Service Provider 'til last year
-- we sold them _only_ in kind of 'emergency cases' for a second (or
third ;) monitor. they are really really really slow.

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt