Subject: Re: X on 8600 update
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/2004 06:39:48
> ok, i'd like to open this question up to the whole list.  i'm looking for a
> video card that is going to Just Work(tm) unlike the millenium.  if it works
> alongside the onboard video, that would be cool too, but i'm thinking that
> i'm not going to use the onboard video at all.
>
> it needs to be cheap.  it needs to have stellar 2D performance, since the
> majority of what i do is 2D.

Sonnet makes a very nice PCI video card specifically designed for 2D (it
was intended for dual monitor setups, but should work fine as a standalone).
It works out of the box from 7.5.3 on up, so I think you're golden for
NetBSD. My last price list has it at $99 MSRP, but you can probably do
better. Fry's sells them as well.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/sonata_sd.html

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@floodgap.com
-- Furious activity is no substitute for understanding. -- H. H. Williams -----