Subject: Re: X on 8600 update
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/2004 13:56:45
Hello,

> ok, i'd like to open this question up to the whole list.  i'm looking for a
> video card that is going to Just Work(tm) unlike the millenium.  if it works
> alongside the onboard video, that would be cool too, but i'm thinking that
> i'm not going to use the onboard video at all.
>
> it needs to be cheap.  it needs to have stellar 2D performance, since the
> majority of what i do is 2D.
>
> what would be my best bet here?

A PCI Mac Rage or Radeon I guess - these seem to be the only cards that just work in XFree on macppc right now.
2D performance should be fine on any halfway recent graphics board. No idea if you'd have to pay the Mac premium or if you could just flash a PCish card with a Mac ROM image - there should be no hardware problem to do that but some flashers won't work if they don't find something they know in your flash ROM...
2nd best guess would be a PCI Voodoo3 IMHO - 2D performance definitely IS stellar, drivers, flashers and ROM images are
out there ( see http://www.mac3dfx.com for all that - you'll need a minimal MacOS to flash the card ) - OF console is fine, XFree needs some hacking but works  for me ( hey, I can play DivX videos on my 300MHz G3 just fine - mplayer complains about a too slow CPU but it also does that on my wife's Athlon XP 2100 and I don't see any dropped frames )
No DRI in NetBSD though, I've hacked the module to get loaded but that's about it - if XFree tries to access it I get a kernel panic although it does at least /something/ - it correctly recognizes my video hardware. No idea what causes the panic.

good luck
Michael