Subject: Re: Bring up questions
To: Krishnan sunderam <sunderam_k@yahoo.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/2004 03:27:17
Hi,

> I have a G4 desktop that has a Stealth Serial Port with the DIN pins
> connected to a DB25F. I have it hooked to the serial port (with a Null
> Modem in between) on my laptop (running Hyperterm). I use a DB25M to
> DB9F cable to connect the Null Modem to my laptop.

Sounds straightforward.

> When I power up the G4 I do not see anything on my Hyperterm session (I
> have verified the settings wrt baud rate, stop bits etc..)

Have you ever? Was this machine set to boot into Open Firmware? Were the
input and output devices set to stta?

> I believe only the TxD (pin 2) , RxD (pin 3) and Gnd (pin 7) of DB25F on
> the G4 are of any significance.

On the G4 end, you have RS422, so it's not as simple as pulling the TxD
and RxD lines. Your cable should take care of that, though.

> How do I see if anything is happening on the G4. I am not sure if the
> last time it was turned off if it was set to autoboot.

Plug in a monitor. If it comes up, reset the input and output devices. If
not, zap the pram and try again.

> Is there any means of salvaging this machine.

Why would it need salvaging?

John Klos