Subject: Re: X11 on iBook G4 = blank screen
To: Claes Wallin <clawa570+gmane@student.liu.se>
From: Robert Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/02/2004 18:03:25
On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Claes Wallin wrote:

> Peter Bex wrote:
>> After a successful installation (Thanks to Robert Nesto's ofwbot.xcf)
>> of NetBSD
>
> Where can I find this ofwboot.xcf? I have used the 1.6.2 ofwboot.xcf,
> but it can only load netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz (2.0), and for some reason I
> haven't been able to successfully boot off /dev/wd0a with that one.
>
> 2.0 ofwboot.xcf crashes with a decrementer error and 1.6.2 ofwboot.xcf
> memory-access-something?)
>
> I'm, of course, trying this on an iBook G4.

ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/ofwboot.xcf

This is version 1.7 from an earlier version of NetBSD.  It works fine
on my B&W G3, my eMac and my PowerBook with -current kernels.  The 1.10
version of ofwboot.xcf has problems on all my ppc Mac systems.  I'm not
sure but I think the problem is in the common code that is linked in
with the macppc ofwboot code.  I don't know what it is though.

I've also been able to get the snag "C" booting to work on my B&W G3,
but for some reason it doesn't work on the eMac or PowerBook.  However
they don't drop into booting MacOS but sit there with a blank screen.
I suspect they have booted NetBSD correctly but for some reason the
screen output is not enabled.  I tried adding a "'screen' output"
command in the bootscript file, but that doesn't seem to help.

-bob