Subject: Re: X11 on iBook G4 = blank screen
To: Claes Wallin <clawa570+gmane@student.liu.se>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/02/2004 14:28:37

I experienced success in getting the 1.6.2 ofwboot.xcf to boot a different
kernel when a) I had ofwboot.xcf in an HFS partition on a hard disk or ZIP
disk and b) I explicitly specified the kernel file as the second
parameter to the OFW boot command:
	boot [ofwboot path] [kernel path]
e.g.
	boot hd:9,\ofwboot.xcf hd:10/netbsd
In OFW 3.x I also change the boot command in nvram from boot-mac to just
boot.

AFAIK the GENERIC_MD is a skeleton kernel without full device support that's
only used during installation. Using the normal GENERIC kernel worked for
me.

YMMV,
	Paul

Paul Frommeyer            Work: Senior Network Engineer  pfrommeyer@deskey.com