Subject: Re: mc0 performance
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/02/2004 01:41:08
At 7:22 PM -0400 8/30/04, Paul Frommeyer wrote:

>bs> Sounds like there might be a negotiation issue. I know that ethernet in=20
>bs> general can get crap performance if one side has full-duplex
>turned on and=
>bs> 20
>bs> the other doesn't.
>
>I'll be among the first to state that nearly every Mac I've ever worked with
>has issues with autonegotiation (ask me about G5's and Catalysts sometime...
>:-p),

Heh, the sad part is that most of the issues that Apple's hardware
has with autonegotiation is because Apple is one of the only
manufacturers that actually follows the ethernet spec by default, and
because of that many PC-oriented admins have developed extremely bad
habits.

>Oh, one point of order on the MACE: if there is no link status on the
>interface, it may fail to initialize properly. A plague of a problem in
>MacOS, where Apple consistently coded the adev to fail the networking prefs
>back to LocalTalk (you can imagine the havoc when a switch would go
>offline and everyone would reboot... :-o).

That was a "smart" feature of the AppleTalk driver, and not anything
to do with the MACE ethernet. If you have AppleTalk turned off, and
TCP/IP turned on, then you can boot as many times as you want with
the ethernet cable unplugged and when you plug it in again, you'll
still be set to [built-in] ethernet, and it will work for sending
packets immediately without needing to do anything.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.