Subject: Re: macppc boot process.
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/01/2004 10:13:14
I have a question about the bootloader RELOC setting. I see that the
link address for INSTALL is 0x800000 and the bootloader is linked to
0xe00000. Since some of these decisions were based on avoiding running
into stuff, I understand the choices, to some extent. Since load-base
and real-base are altered from default OF settings, why not link the
bootloader at something below 0x100000 and link both GENERIC and INSTALL
to the same location (0x100000)? OF is out of the way, and load-base
only comes into play with the bootloader, as I understand, which should
remove any conflicts. How high do the NetBSD exception handlers run up
to? Are there other considerations?

thanks in advance,
tim