Subject: Re: macppc boot process.
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/30/2004 12:59:01
--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:46:03PM -0000, Tim Kelly wrote:
>=20
> From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
>=20
> >>
> What do you mean "not get sysinst to properly accept an msdos partition?"
> Do you mean msdos partition is not appeared in output of disklabel(8)?
> If so it's not sysinst problem but kernel problem.
> (though I don't think sysinst for macppc can handle fdisk parititions..)

Tim, could you please get your mailer to use a different form of quote=20
marking? Like prefixing each line with '> '. Please. :-)

> I was trying to establish a 2M msdos partition at offset 0, with other
> partitions following it. The most productive way I found was to use a
> partition letter higher than the g partition, which would get close, but=
=20
> I would run into errors such as file systems running out of space. I=20
> never got an msdos partition to take. As I said, I'm pretty sure I was=20
> making the mistake.

Offset 0?? Don't do that. ;-) You'll have that msdos partition overwriting=
=20
the Apple Partition Map, and who knows what else will be messed up.

I'd suggest using Apple tools to partition the disk, incluiding a 2 MB=20
partition to be the MSDOS partition. Then set up an MBR that has a FAT=20
partition that exactly matches the one you have in the APM.

Take care,

Bill

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--