Subject: Re: X working, need mouse
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/30/2004 15:37:03
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 12:03:47PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:32:24PM -0400, Paul Frommeyer wrote:
> >
> > While I don't want to generate unhelpful clutter, here anyway is some
> > apocrypha that may or may not bear on the situation: IIRC, many of
> > Kensington's products included extra buttons or what-have-you, and the way
> > Kensington tackled this in certain models was to have their firmware
> > "pretend" that the add-ons were on a "separate" ADB device. I believe this
> > was done to prevent "confusing" the MacOS 5-9 device drivers. I seem to
> > remember running into this back in pre-System 7 days, hence the fog is
> > rather thick for which I apologize.  But since my memory matched the
> > behavior Brian is seeing (one trackball reports itself as 2 devices), I
> > thought I'd comment anyway, with apologies if this is completely useless. :-/
>
> I think you're right. Two reasons for this are: 1) there was no original
> standard for multi-button mice. My 3-button adb mouse actually shows up as
> a mouse and a keyboard, as the original way to do second and third mouse
> buttons was to press arrow keys on the keyboard. 2) the higher-end devices
> could be programmed, and so Kensington probably wanted something different
> for their drivers to talk to.
>
> The problem with wsmouse is probably "wsmouse0 at ams?". Brian, try making
> that "wsmouse*".

i added wsmouse1 at ams1 and rebuilt the kernel, that did the trick with
getting both mouse devices enable.  however, i haven't been able to test
this due to the monitor burnup i just experienced.  i'm going to attempt
to get the Xmacppc binary working with the onboard video and seeing what
i can test for the mouse.

-brian

--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews