Subject: Re: macppc boot process.
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/30/2004 12:11:26
--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:12:26PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <1093285578.3272.21.camel@www.thelaststop.net>
> rian@thelaststop.cjb.net wrote:
>=20
> > 1. Where is bootxx supposed to be on the disk device when OF loads it? I
> > assume this is where NetBSD puts it after installation.
>=20
> At the top of NetBSD partition specified in the Apple partition map.
> (installboot(8) writes "faked" partition map)
> Openfirmware (only version 1 or 2?) checks the map and load
> blocks specified in the map entry, I guess.

Yes. We fake up a "driver" that loads ofwboot.

> > 2. How is the bbinfo structure filled? How does bootxx know where
> > ofwboot.xcf is?
>=20
> installboot(8) fills it on writing bootxx into the disk.
>=20
> > 3. Why is ofwboot.xcf in the XCOFF format? why was there a change from
> > ELF?
>=20
> I think XCOFF is used because OpenFirmware doesn't recognize ELF.
> Note bootxx loads (raw) ofwboot, not ofwboot.xcf.

OFW versions 1 and 2 can netboot XCOFF files, or boot them off of msdos or=
=20
cdroms. OFW 3 can read XCOFF and ELF, and can also read off of an HFS=20
partition. Even though ELF is our native format, we make an XCOFF so that=
=20
we 1) have fewer files to mess with and 2) don't have to explain when to=20
use the elf and when to use the xcf versions.

Take care,

Bill

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--