Subject: Re: X working, need mouse
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2004 23:32:24

While I don't want to generate unhelpful clutter, here anyway is some
apocrypha that may or may not bear on the situation: IIRC, many of
Kensington's products included extra buttons or what-have-you, and the way
Kensington tackled this in certain models was to have their firmware
"pretend" that the add-ons were on a "separate" ADB device. I believe this
was done to prevent "confusing" the MacOS 5-9 device drivers. I seem to
remember running into this back in pre-System 7 days, hence the fog is
rather thick for which I apologize.  But since my memory matched the
behavior Brian is seeing (one trackball reports itself as 2 devices), I
thought I'd comment anyway, with apologies if this is completely useless. :-/

FWIW,
	Paul

Paul Frommeyer            Work: Senior Network Engineer  pfrommeyer@deskey.com
Internet Engineer, CCIE   Play: Network Sorcerer At Large     corwin@palas.com