Subject: Re: macppc boot process.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/28/2004 02:38:53
In article <20040826121013.66e5a608.macallan18@earthlink.net>
macallan18@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hmm, the hp300 port uses something similar but doesn't need
> anything like bootxx -

Well, hp300 can't use the bootxx method because the firmware
doesn't provide functions to access devices and bootloader
has to have all neccessary drivers in itself and it can't be
fit in 8kbytes.

> instead partition a begins at block 63
> or so to leave room for the boot loader at position 0
> ( it is considerably larger than 8KB and mimics a HP LIF
> filesystem which the boot PROM recognizes )
> So I think there's more to it than just free space at the top
> of FFS partitions.

hp300 requires independent partition for the bootloader
at the top of the disk. I think bootxx method is better
if possible.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp