Subject: Re: mc0 performance
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/27/2004 14:05:06
Hello,

> I have mc0 on my 9500 too and it is almost unusable. Really bad. And a
> pity, it must be a real bug of NetBSD (both 1.6 and 2.0) it keeps saying
> "resetting DMA every few minutes" and the card works fine under Linux,
> MkLinux, Darwin and even BeOS !
> mine is onboard.
Hmm, I should really have a look if it happens to me too, but as far as I remember - before making the E100 patch - it was definitely usable, performance wasn't stellar but it happily did 700KB/s or so ( I'm using a 10/100MBit switch via built-in RJ45, the switch does auto-MDI which confuses some other ethernet boards (like the onboard DEC21140 of my PowerStack, happens with both AIX and Debian, for some reason it doesn't happen to a PCI card with a 21140) but not these )

> I have also a Digital card PCI which used to work fine until last time I
> tried, so now working on NetBSD and testing stuff from Michael is really
> really a pain. You cannot even type in telnet often.
Hmm, I know that's not satisfying but any cheap PCI NE2000 or RealTek 8139 should just work.
Did you test the digital board recently? The driver is full of device-specific quirks, maybe yours needs another one.

Damn, I wish I could get my hands on some docs about the QLogic 1020 and the PCI-based JackHammer cards to get the SCSI part of the E100 to work - they definitely did some weird things to the chip :(

have fun
Michael