Subject: Re: macppc boot process.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/2004 22:51:34
In article <20040826125732.B3B24414AC@mail01.powweb.com>
hockey@dialectronics.com wrote:

> If I type (in OF 1.0.5)
> boot scsi-int/@6:1,\boot.mac netbsd
>
> I would expect to be able to boot using the bootloader boot.mac
> (on the internal hard drive with SCSI ID 6). However, since
> the partition 1 is not recognized by OF (as it is FFS), this fails
> and rolls over to partition 0. This leads to booting with bootxx,
> which does not recognize boot.mac, even though it is on the same
> partition as ofwboot. This situation does not occur when partition 1
> is msdos, and files can be copied in and out of this partition easily.

Well, in this case what "partition" is used on the disk?

The bootxx method only works with the apple partition map.
OF checks entries of each partition and it loads blocks
only if the entries are set properly. You have to set
pmSig, pmMapBlkCnt, pmPyPartStart, pmPartStatus etc. in
struct apple_part_map_entry defined in sys/bootblock.h.
(see src/usr.sbin/installboot/arch/macppc.c)

If you want to try boot.mac instead of ofwboot,
you can just replace boot.mac with ofwboot.
(of course you have to rerun installboot(8) then)
"Booting from FFS in partition 1" is another problem,
but it's possible with the proper apple partition map.

You only can specify filename on OF prompt if the file is
placed in filesystem which can be recognized by OF,
so it works on msdosfs.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp