Subject: Re: on after power fail.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rian Hunter <rian@thelaststop.cjb.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/23/2004 14:43:55
> Cant you also put a wire into two of the pins of the ADB connector? I
> believed the power on key does nothing more than shortcutting two pins,
> used by a schematic to power up a Mac when the phone rings.

that's really neat!

it would have to be a NVRAM setting because before I installed NetBSD
into this machine (PM 6500/250) it would reboot after a failure. The
reason i say it is a NVRAM setting is because i remember messing with
the NVRAM to get the on-board video to work, and since then it no longer
reboots after a power failure. Unfortunately I can't really mess with
the machine because it's a server.

Would holding the power-key down on the ADB keyboard really work to
power-on the computer if it is in a power-off state? Is the NetBSD
console sensitive to the power-key? It always seemed a little fishy and
I was never sure if it was something that the Mac firmware dealed with
or if it delegated to the software after a power-on. Again, i can't
really test on this machine.
-rian