Subject: Maybe I'm missing something obvious but...
To: 'port-macppc@NetBSD.org' <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Mottl, Thomas (SAW Enterprises) <thomas.mottl-eds@eds.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/23/2004 13:02:34
Maybe I'm missing something simple but I can't get a hard disk to partition
the way I want.

Let me explain what I have access to, and what I'm trying to do here.

I've got an iMac (233Mhz, Indigo OF3) which I want to put NetBSD on, and I
really have no desire to run MacOS.
I've got a NetBSD 1.6.2 cd I made from the ISO from the FTP site.
I've read through the installation files about a dozen times by now.
I have access to OSX 10.3 install discs (which I cannot leave an install of
10.3 on for licensing reasons, it's from work), a FreeBSD/i386 server, and a
Windows XP desktop.  I don't have access to an OS 9 disc.

Disk tools for OSX lets me make HFS/HFS+/Unix partitions, which I know I
need one small HFS partition at the front of the disk.  So I make a single
512 MB HFS+ partition and format it, then quit the installer.  (The drive is
30GB, so 512MB isn't really that much to me.)

I pulled down a copy of pdisk and burnt it to a cd on my XP machine, but I
can't get the CD to mount when I select run /bin/sh from the install
utilities.

Is there any way I can continue with this and get NetBSD running on here, or
will I have to start searching for more items to get this installed?  Will I
need to get one of the hardcore Mac guys from work to make  bootable OSX
disk with the OSX Version of pdisk on it to get started?  It would
definitely be a while before I ever saw that show up on my desk.

Thomas Mottl
Senior FileMaker Developer - Saw Enterprises International, Inc.
EDS/NMCI FileMaker Support