Subject: Re: on after power fail.
To: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/21/2004 13:15:12
At 6:02 PM -0400 8/18/04, Paul Frommeyer wrote:

>If memory serves, it was common in that era of Mac to be able to depress the
>power button and then rotate it into a locked position. I'm 100% certain
>this was the case for all Quadra machines

Your 100% certainty is misplaced.

It was only used on Quadras that required it. Other Quadras supported
a "soft" method of performing the same function, which is what is
used in all PowerMacs that will run NetBSD.

>, and I'm 80% certain that feature
>was continued into the first series of PowerMacs which reused many of
>the same FRUs as the Quadras.

None of the first series of PowerMacs can run NetBSD (no
OpenFirmware, no PCI bus, PowerPC 601 processors, all 3 of which must
be changed to run NetBSD) and it has the same caveat as the Quadras.

The option to boot after power failure is a PRAM setting on many
Macs. I don't know if there are OF commands to set that feature, but
if you have the ability to boot into MacOS, you can set it using the
Energy Saver control panel. Click the "advanced" tab, and tick the
checkbox next to "restart automatically after a power failure" (OS9's
Energy Saver...OS7 & 8 had slightly different wording iirc, but the
option is still there on all machines that support it). This does
require a good PRAM battery.

HTH
Mike
--