Subject: Re: the 8600 lives!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/19/2004 10:03:27
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:02:10PM -0400, Michael wrote:

> First - the card needs to run as console or my patch doesn't work -

ahh, ok.

> Riccardo apparently has a ROM image that works ( mine doesn't )
> Then I need to clean up the code and put it somewhere so you can
> download it.

ok, so i need to figure out how to get that ROM image into my card.

> After that you apply the patches, recompile the kernel and the Xserver
> and that's it. I could send you my X binaries but they are compiled for
> 2.0G and a G3, I doubt they would run on anything older.

i have 2.0 BETA and a G3, is that close enough?

> If you use the ROM image from matrox.com it will work fine under MacOS
> ( although it doesn't like my G3 ) but nut as OF console ( at least not
> for me - S900 / OF 1.0.5. If your OF version is different it may just
> work )

ahh, ok.  nope, 1.0.5 here as well.

> Currently yes, because XFree tries to map the framebuffer and so on
> through wscons. If wsdisplay doesn't attach to your graphics board it
> won't work.

ahh, ok, so need to solve that issue then.

> It doesn't matter where it attaches, it only needs to attach so it can
> be mapped through wscons.

ok.

> What's wrong with the onboard video? I have no clue about it but does
> it work as OF console? I guess the Matrox would be the better choice
> but it might be easier to get that working first.

i want to use both, so i'm not opposed to getting the onboard video working.
it works fine as an OF console.  what do i need to know to get XFree86
configured to use it?  also, how to i emulate more than 1 button on my mouse
until my replacement ADB mouse shows up?

-brian
--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews