Subject: Re: the 8600 lives!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/17/2004 07:31:29
On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:50:55PM -0400, Michael wrote:

> I've got a patch to allow XFree to use it - some fiddling on ofb driver
> in the kernel and some more fiddling on XFree86's BSD support to allow
> programmed IO - without that no XFree driver that needs vgahw is going
> to work. Tested it with a Voodoo3 and a Millennium I so far, enables
> full support for both.

cool!  what do i need to do to get that installed?

> But your problem seems to be elsewhere, looks like OF didn't really
> initialize the board. Do you have OFs text console on the Millennium? I

i do not know.  this card supposedly works with OS9, that is all i know.

> get this error when the console is elsewhere.

the console is serial on this thing.

> Sadly, OF text mode on the Millennium I doesn't work for me ( Matrox
> firmware 3.01 I think ) but someone else on this list said he has a
> firmware image that supports it...
> ( no, I didn't mistype the OF device path - my voodoo3 works fine as OF
> console )

do i need text mode to make this work with X?  the onboard video is on pci1 so
it gets configured as ofb1.  could i hardwire them so that the onboard is ofb0
and maybe things will just work?  or do i even need to bother to do that?

-brian
--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews