Subject: Re: new 8600 motherboard
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Paul Frommeyer <paul@palas.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/2004 19:39:44

Some data points that may or may not be of any help ;-) :

- I'm not sure, but the 8600 might be willing to boot MacOS off
  the ZIP if it just has an HFS filesystem and blessed system
  folder on it

- Assuming the 1.X OFW isn't smart enough to do that, you might be
  able to coax it by just changing the device reference in the default
  boot-device setting in a boot command; e.g.;
        boot /pci/mac+io/ide@21000:,\\:tbxi
  where the hard-disk version that my notes say worked was:
	boot hd:,\\:tbxi
  but as usual my caveat is that this was different OFW (2.4), and of
  course the ZIP path will probably be very different for the 8600.

- The way MacOS licensing is supposed to work for older machines is that
each is "entitled" to a copy of the then-current OS. I *think*, but am not
sure, that that is 8.0 for that era of machine. All this being the case,
I'm sure somebody (me, for instance) would be happy to make an appropriate
CD-ROM image available for you since under those terms no copyright or licenses
would be violated.

- At the risk of putting forth problematic information, I've sucessfully
  booted the NetBSD installer by putting OFWBOOT.XCF on one disk and then
  told it to boot the kernel from the install CD. I do not know if this
  would work with OFW 1.X, though.

FWIW,
	Paul

| bah.  back to the zip boot disk idea, i think that's probably best.  what do
| i need to do to get a bootable ZIP+root disk made?
|
| -brian

                          Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer
             Work         Internet Engineer, CCIE               Play
     Senior Network Engineer                          Network Sorcerer At Large
   Deskey Integrated Branding                            Paul's Fone Company
     pfrommeyer@deskey.com                                corwin@palas.com
          *** Speaking solely for myself unless otherwise noted ***