Subject: Re: new 8600 motherboard
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/2004 12:56:11
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:34:46AM -0500, Jeff Walther wrote:

> One of the differences in the 8600 Enhanced was support for a new
> (back in 1997) CPU module.   The new CPU module based on the Mach V
> PPC604ev CPU, has a 1 MB in-line cache on the CPU module which acts
> as an L2 cache.   Because the designers assumed that the L2 cache
> would always be on the CPU module, there was no reason to install the
> L2 cache socket on the motherboard.

ahh, well, that at least makes sense.

> However, other than the new CPU module and the updated ROMs there
> were virtually no differences between the 8600 PCB and the 8600
> Enhanced PCB, so they just used the old board and left off the cache
> socket.

ok, that's good to know.

> My understanding is that there is a slight difference in the pinout
> of the CPU socket, but I have not confirmed that.   It is well known
> that the Mach V CPU cards will not work in any machine other than one
> of the Kansas motherboards (8600 Enhanced and 9600 Enhanced).

shouldn't be anything to worry about since i'm using a G3 cpu card that should
work anyway. ;)

> Unfortunately, I do not have any insights into your more immediate
> problem with net booting.   I hope this background information will
> help you know where to look for solutions.

unless someone else can speak up and say that Kansas board won't properly
netboot, i am going to assume a broken mace.  that's slightly annoying since
it makes setting up a boot-disk a little more trouble than it need to be.

bah.  back to the zip boot disk idea, i think that's probably best.  what do
i need to do to get a bootable ZIP+root disk made?

-brian
--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews