Subject: Re: new 8600 motherboard
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jb13@gomerbud.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/05/2004 09:42:57
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:17:16AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:58:00PM -0700, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Brian,
> > Do you see anything interesting in your dhcpd logs?  I'd be curious whether
> > you have the same version of OpenFirmware on the new board.  The netboot
> > client is after all implemented in OF.
>
> nothing exciting.  just the request coming in, and dhcpd sending a reply back
> out, the same thing i see from tcpdump basically.
>
> hmmm, i'm not real fond of the idea of putting the old motherboard back in to
> check for firmware versions, but i could certainly be bothered to get you the
> version of the current board if you'll tell me how to do that. :)
>
> also, is there a way to update the firmware?  should i do that?

um, well yes and no. the rom is not flash upgradebull, but most mac's of the
time had a slot for a rom simm that you could put a new simm in and the
board would use it instead. if your old board has one you can try and put
it in the new board, but, come to think of it, i can't remember if the 8600's
had a rom slot. i know the 9[56]00's did, all i remember on my 8500 board is
a cache slot. as for getting the rom version, system info on macos will tell
you, or in OF do something like this

0> dev /APPL .properties

and it should tell you, sorry i can't remember the exact dir.