Subject: php-4.3.6nb2 mbstring
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <ucq@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/03/2004 00:27:25
Hi there,

I am struggling to properly build php-4.3.6nb2 with mbstring.
Initially it was installed via pkgsrc and was working OK. But
when I installed squirrelmail for webmail, it requires to build
with mbstring for multibyte support.
I searched on the net how to build and all of the information
says "./configure --enable-mbstring".
But pkgsrc's make seems not allow to set the configure.
I tried to do configure (by using configure which was from old
installation)
before make but once "make" runs after ./configure, it seems to run the
./configure again and overwrite the configure files, this means the
mbstring wasn't activated.
Also I added the following line in Makefile.php before make
   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-mbstring
and mbstring looked configured (when I do "php -m", mbstring was in the
list) but
squirrelmail still give me the error "multibyte function not available,
configure with --enable-mbstring". And some commands which are of
mbstring
didn't work. (something like mbstring.internal.encoding())
I also tried to install php-mbstring but it failed, even if php4 was
installed as a dependent package of php-mbstring.

This question might be of the applications but I just wonder if the
problem
can be solved by an environment setting?

Mac : PM4400/200
NetBSD 1.6.2
PHP : php-4.3.6nb2 from pkgsrc

I didn't install any Japanese environment in this Mac.
The outputs from pkg_info is as follows.
Do I need to install Japanese environment to OS?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Atsushi Uchida

digest-20021220     Message digest wrapper utility
audit-packages-1.32 Tools to show vulnerabilities in installed packages
tcsh-6.13.00        Extended C-shell with many useful features
perl-5.8.4nb1       Practical Extraction and Report Language
openssl-0.9.6m      Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
m4-1.4nb1           GNU version of Unix m4 macro-processor
autoconf-2.59       Generates automatic source code configuration
scripts
gmake-3.80nb3       GNU version of 'make' utility
postgresql-lib-7.3.6nb2 PostgreSQL database headers and libraries
postgresql-client-7.3.6nb2 PostgreSQL database client programs
postgresql-server-7.3.6nb4 PostgreSQL database server programs
postgresql-docs-7.3.6 PostgreSQL database system documentation
postgresql-7.3.6nb1 Robust, next generation, object-relational DBMS
sudo-1.6.7.5        Allow others to run commands as root
gtexinfo-4.6nb2     GNU info file manipulation utilities
automake-1.8.4      GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
libtool-base-1.5.6nb1 Generic shared library support script (the script
itself)
php-4.3.6nb2        HTML-embedded scripting language
php-pgsql-4.3.6nb2  PHP4 extension for PostgreSQL databases
pico-4.7            Text editor (ships with Pine), and Pine's text
editing lib
phppgadmin-2.4.2nb1 Set of PHP-scripts to administer PostgreSQL over
the WWW
expat-1.95.7        XML parser library written in C
apr-0.9.5.2.0.49    Apache Portable Runtime
apache-2.0.49nb2    Apache HTTP (Web) server, version 2
ap-php-4.3.6nb2     Apache (apache2) module for PHP4
imap-uw-2004        University of Washington's IMAP, POP2, and POP3
servers
php-gettext-4.3.6nb2 PHP4 extension for gettext support
squirrelmail-1.4.3a PHP4 webmail package
php-mbstring-4.3.6nb2 PHP4 extension for multibyte characters support
(currently, Ja