Subject: Re: ims twin turbo and the Video odyssey continues
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2004 15:40:14
rollei@tiscalinet.it (Riccardo Mottola) writes:

> NetBSD-ppc is a constat frustration for me on the video card side. I
> am running a 2.0 pre version so I have an up-to-date Xfree.
>
> I never got my ATI mach64 card to work although it should be
> supported... and you can select the driver in xf86config
>

> Now I was able to get my hands on a IMS TwinTurbo 128. Althogh
> xfree86.org states it supported as well as in 3.3.6 and in 4.3.0 with am
> 'imstt' driver, xf86config doesn't list that driver (or I didn't found
> it)
>
> I wrote a random configure file with very permissive Video options and
> then manually changed the device driver from 's3' to 'imstt'
>
> what I get in the xfree log is:
>
> (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.4.0, module version = 1.0.0
>         Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
>         ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.4
> (II) IMSTT: driver (version 1.0.0) for IMS TwinTurbo chipsets :
> imstt128,
>         imstt3d
> (EE) No devices detected.

I have a 9600 MP with this card in it, and I have also investigated
what it would take to get the video card working under NetBSD.

I didn't get very far, but I did figure out that Yellow Dog Linux can
drive the card A-OK.  And in fact I installed YDL, and it worked for
me.  The YDL folks must have patched XFree somehow.  Maybe if you ask
on the YDL mailing lists, you can get the details.

-russ