Subject: Re: wi broken on macppc
To: Miles Nording <carton@ivy.net>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2004 16:19:22
Hi!

> Is anyone else using wi(4) PRISM2/2.5/3 cards on macppc?  It hasn't
> worked on my PB2400 in a long time.  Yet I don't hear anyone else
> complaining, so I wonder if there is some mistake on my end.
> Are successful users out there?

I'm using it under 2.0_BETA on my Powerbook Lombard.

> The symptom is that the card attaches and configures normally, but
> doesn't work.
>
> If i set the nwid to "", the lights on the card indicate it's found a
> network, and my network's text ssid and MAC address bssid show up
> readably in wiconfig.  but the ssid does not show up in ifconfig.
> ifconfig says 'ssid ""' and 'status: no network'.

I don't see that.
I have the problem that after I configure the nwid with ifconfig,
I have to manually set the media-type to something other than the
default. Then I can usually use it without problems.

> If I start tcpdump and dhclient, I can't see any packets, even the
> ones dhclient is supposedly sending.  dhclient doesn't get a lease.
>
> 'wiconfig wi0 -D' reports "No APs available" even though my AP's name
> shows up under ssid in 'wiconfig wi0'.

That has never worked for me. It's supposedly a big-endian bug somewhere.

> If I set the suspect PB2400 to 'nwid blahblah mediaopt adhoc' and set
> my AP also to 'mediaopt adhoc',  the card works , tcpdump works,
> dhclient works, I can ssh to things.
>
> Other people in the house have no problems using the AP in its usual
> 'mediaopt hostap' way.
>
> If I invert their roles and set the PB2400 to 'mediaopt hostap' and
> set my i386 AP to be the client, again,  the card works .  The i386
> can scan the PB2400 with 'wiconfig wi0 -D' and associate to it.
>
> If I swap cards between the AP and the macppc, the problem stays with
> the macppc---it does not follow the wireless card.
>
> Both the suspect client and the AP are 2.0 BETA 2004-05-27.  The AP is
> i386, and the client is macppc PB2400.

Cheers,
 Thomas