Subject: XFree86, more updates
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2004 20:02:28
Hello,

after some more hacking to find why XFree sometimes fails to map
certain memory ranges without any apparent reason I think I've found
the reason - XFree doesn't use /dev/mem at all, it uses /dev/wscons0
for both, memory and console access. Obviously wscons does some sanity
checks when mapping things - this works well on x86 but fails horribly
on macppc. This leaves two possible solutions - hack XFree to use
/dev/mem for screen memory access or hack the ofb driver to allow more
memory mappings - like the vga driver does. The cleaner solution is
obviously to hack ofb and send-pr the result instead of buggering
XFree.

have fun
Michael